57.6% of the world’s population uses social media. The average daily usage is 2 hours and 27 minutes
4.62 billion social media users around the world in January 2022, equating to 58.4 percent of the total global population.
Social media penetration has been on the rise in recent years. The latest studies show that by 2022, there are likely to be 3.96 billion social media users around the world, which is a 4.8 percent increase year-over-year.
The growth of social media
Social media has been around for less than a decade, but its growth has been astounding. In 2005, just 8% of Americans used social media. By 2012, that number had jumped to 68%. That means that nearly two-thirds of all Americans are now using social media. The growth of social media is not just limited to the United States either – it is a global phenomenon. According to a study by the Pew Research Center, 71% of Americans use social media. That’s nearly three-quarters of the population! Usage rates vary considerably by age group, with 92% of 18-29-year-olds using social media, compared to just 34% of those over 65. Men and women are about equally likely to use social media, although there are some gender differences in usage rates.
Social Media Usage by Region
Smartphone accessibility, wireless coverage, and increasing network coverage all help drive social media usage around the world. Social media is one of the most popular activities on the internet. It is used by people of all ages and in all parts of the world. The largest users of social media are in North America and Europe. Asia has the fastest-growing social media market. Social media is changing the way people communicate and share information.
Southeast Asia is home to the second-highest number of social media users with 482.73 million users. This is followed by Southern Asia with 470.01 million. Central Africa with 12.38 million users and Central Asia with 13.93 million users.
How many people use social networks for business?
The Pew Research Center’s Internet & American Life Project released a study on August 7, 2012, stating that 71 percent of adults in the United States use social networking sites. Out of that 71 percent, 62 percent of them use social media for business purposes. This number is only going to continue to grow as social media becomes more and more ingrained into our everyday lives.
- India: 48% of people use it for work
- Canada: 32% of people use it for work
- Australia: 30% of people use it for work
- USA: 28% of people use it for work
- UK: 28% of people use it for work
- Pak: 5% of people use it for work
How many social media accounts does the average person have?
A recent study shows that the average person has about 5 social media accounts. This number is up from previous years, as more and more people are using social media to connect with friends and family. The most popular social media platforms are Facebook, Instagram, and WhatsApp.
While there are some people who use social media sparingly, there are others who can’t go a day without checking their feeds.
- India: Averages 12.4 accounts per person
- Pakistan : Averages 8 Accounts per Person
- USA: Averages 7.1 accounts per person
- UK: Averages 6.9 accounts per person
- Canada: Averages 6.8 accounts per person
- Japan: Averages 3.8 accounts per person
Social media usage by gender
According to a 2018 study by the Pew Research Center, 68 percent of American adults use social media. This number is up from 62 percent in 2016. While there are no major differences between men and women when it comes to social media usage, there are some slight variations.
Women are more likely than men to use social media for staying in touch with friends (72% vs. 65%) and for getting news (68% vs. 61%).
- North America: 54% female vs. 46% male users
- South America: 52% female vs. 48% male users
- Western Europe: 50% female vs. 50% male users
- Southern Africa: 52% female vs. 48% male users
- Southern Asia: 27% female vs. 73% male users
- Oceania: 53% female vs. 47% male users
Implications of social media growth
As social media continues to grow in popularity, more and more people are using it to communicate and connect with friends and family. But what are the implications of this growth? How does social media affect the way we interact with each other? And what does this mean for the future of communication?
Social media platforms have at least 300 million, active users
Social media platforms have a combined active user base of more than 300 million people. This number is expected to grow in the coming years, as social media becomes more popular. Social media is used for a variety of purposes, including staying in touch with friends and family, sharing news and information, and promoting businesses.
- Facebook has 2.910 billion monthly active users.
- YouTube’s potential advertising reach is 2.562 billion
- WhatsApp has at least 2 billion monthly active users
- Instagram’s potential advertising reach is 1.478 billion.
- WeChat (inc. Weixin 微信) has 1.263 billion monthly active users
- TikTok has 1 billion monthly active users.
- Facebook Messenger’s potential advertising reach is 988 million.
- Douyin (抖音) has 600 million daily active users.
- QQ (腾讯QQ) has 574 million monthly active users.
- Sina Weibo (新浪微博) has 573 million monthly active users.
Time spent on social media by country
In the era of social media, people are constantly plugged in. Whether it’s checking Facebook notifications or scrolling through Instagram posts, people are spending more and more time on their phones. But which countries are the most active on social media? And how does that compare to the amount of time people spend on their phones in general?
A recent study by Hootsuite and We Are Social looked at social media usage around the world.
- Pakistan – 5 hours
- Brazil – 3 hours 42 minutes
- U.S.A. – 2 hours 7 minutes
- U.K. – 1 hour 49 minutes
- Australia – 1 hour 45 minutes
- South Korea – 1 hour 8 minutes
What’s the internet’s Desktop vs Mobile vs Tablet Market Share Worldwide
The desktop, mobile, and tablet market share are constantly changing as new technologies are released. In order to stay up-to-date on the latest market share, it is important to research the latest findings. A recent study conducted by We Are Social found that there are now over 3.8 billion people using social media. This accounts for 49% of the world’s population. The study also found that out of those 3.8 billion people, 2.
- 99% or 4.43 billion social media users access networks using a mobile device
- 78% or 2.97 billion users access networks exclusively on their mobile phone
- 1.32% or 50 million exclusively access networks on a desktop
- 20% or 760 million users use both desktop and mobile phones
- There are 3.50 billion smartphones in the world, which means 84.85% of smartphone owners access social media from their phones
- There are 5.27 billion unique mobile phone users in the world
Social media has seen unprecedented growth in recent years. The number of people using social media is projected to grow to over 2.5 billion by 2022. This growth will have a significant impact on the way people interact and communicate.